Chronic hip pain is commonly thought of as only affecting those who are 65 and older. However, it can occur at any age. If you or someone you love is living with chronic hip pain, there are many things you can do to help manage it. Today we will share a bit of information on a variety of options, from at home treatments to specialty treatments. Read on to learn more!
Common Causes of Hip Pain
While conditions such as Arthritis and Bursitis are some of the top offenders for causing chronic hip pain, there are several others that our orthopedic doctors in Bedford TX also see (locations in Benbrook and Lewisville as well).
- Hip Fractures or Hip Fracture Syndrome
- Tendon or muscle strain
- Osteonecrosis – a condition in healthy bone tissue begins to die off due to limited blood flow
- Hip labral tear
DIY At Home Therapies
Many of the treatments that can help keep patients’ hip pain at a manageable level are able to be done from the comfort of home.
- Heat Therapy – Try a hot tub or whirlpool. Do not use if there is any swelling or inflammation.
- I.C.E. Therapy – R.I.C.E. is an acronym for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. This is highly recommended especially if your hip pain is caused by bursitis.
- Exercise – typically both swimming and stationary biking are two types of exercise that allow patient with hip pain to be active safely. You may also want to consider strength training.
- Achieve and maintain a healthy weight
- Medication – Over-the-counter NSAIDS (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory medication) like Ibuprofen or Motrin IB may be helpful.
- Integrate periods of rest and gentle stretching throughout your day
For more tips and tricks, visit our blog on natural techniques for joint pain management. As always, be sure to consult your doctor before beginning any type of new therapy or treatment.
There will also be times where the at-home therapies are not quite strong enough to make a significant difference in a patient’s quality of life. At CPI, we realize that each person’s pain is unique. That’s why we specialize in a full suite of options for every level of chronic pain. Some of our top treatments for chronic hip pain include:
If you are looking for a higher level of pain relief, we currently have Bedford doctors accepting new patients (locations also in Benbrook and Lewisville). We will take the time to carefully assess your condition and offer non-invasive and comprehensive options to help you on your path to better pain management.
Whether it’s hip pain, cancer-related pain, or anything in between, we are here for you. Our doctors are dedicated to patient care and treat patients like family. The physicians at the Comprehensive Pain Institute are trained in advanced pain management procedures. You will receive thoughtful personalized care from our compassionate and caring providers. Call us today!