Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a chronic autoimmune condition affecting millions of people across the US and around the world, and can lead to inflammation and pain in joints, leading to stiffness, reduced mobility, and overall decreased quality of life.
Comprehensive Pain Institute’s joint pain specialists understand there is no single, universal solution for RA pain management and relief. Instead, our pain doctors use various treatment options and lifestyle modifications that may help ease symptoms while simultaneously improving overall well-being. Let’s explore some effective strategies to address and treat RA.
Comprehensive Pain Institute in Bedford & Benbrook Texas Provide state-of-the-art options for treating pain.
Treatments that may be recommended by The Comprehensive Pain Institute include:
- Nerve Blocks: Nerve blocks may provide temporary relief from Rheumatoid Arthritis pain by blocking pain signals to your brain. They can serve as a stand-in treatment method that manages your RA pain while helping you remain active.
- Joint Injections: Corticosteroids or hyaluronic acid can be used directly on affected joints to decrease inflammation directly. One such procedure, the Sacroiliac Joint Injection is often performed among those diagnosed with RA; watch our video here for more details on this.
- Medications: Pain relievers and anti-inflammatory medications are frequently used to manage RA pain. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, may help reduce inflammation and relieve pain while disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs), such as methotrexate and sulfasalazine may help slow progression and joint damage by slowing their progress; biologic medications like Humira or Enbrel target specific parts of immune systems involved with inflammation.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy can assist in increasing joint mobility and alleviating pain with guided exercises and stretching techniques. Physical therapists can teach exercises designed to strengthen muscles around affected joints in order to decrease pressure on them and enhance overall joint functionality.
Lifestyle Tips to Alleviate Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain
- Exercise: Low impact exercises such as swimming, yoga, tai chi, walking and cycling may help those living with RA increase joint mobility while simultaneously decreasing pain levels.
- Mediterranean Diet: Consuming foods rich in anti-inflammatory nutrients such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fatty fish can help to decrease joint inflammation. It’s also essential to refrain from processed food such as sodas or alcohol which may increase joint discomfort – check out this article all about the health benefits of the Mediterranean diet!
- Stress Management: Stress can aggravate arthritis symptoms and worsen pain levels. We typically recommend meditation, deep breathing exercises and light physical exercises as ways of mitigating stress.
- Rest: Rest is key to managing joint pain and inflammation. Sleeping enough and taking breaks as necessary will help alleviate your discomfort and enhance joint functionality throughout your day.
Reducing the discomfort associated with RA requires an integrated approach incorporating pain management treatments, lifestyle modifications and stress relief techniques. By working with healthcare providers such as Comprehensive Pain Institute, people living with RA can reduce pain while improving body function and improving their overall well-being!
Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment in Bedford & Benbrook TX
Comprehensive Pain Institute provides comprehensive care for Rheumatoid Arthritis patients in Bedford and Benbrook TX, helping manage your pain and improve quality of life. If you are suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis symptoms, please speak with a medical professional who can determine which treatments would be most suitable. Contact us now!